Keep your skin on

May 21, 2010 8:35 am
Posted in: Food Factoids

Kiwi Fruit Closeup

You probably already know that the delicious kiwi fruit is an excellent source of vitamin C and fiber (and a good source of potassium, copper, magnesium, vitamin E, and manganese).

What you probably didn’t know is that you can also eat the skin!  It’s much softer and thinner than you’d expect, and contains more fiber and nutrients.

What I love most, though, is that leaving the skin on makes preparation so much easier!  Just cut off the little nub where the fruit was attached to the branch, and then eat the whole kiwi like an apple, or simply slice it up.

No more tedious peeling, wasted fruit because you peeled too much, or exasperated attempts to Ginsu a slippery green ball.

Here’s another little kiwi factoid:  Once cut, they release an enzyme that will soften other fruits (and themselves) — so if you’re adding kiwi to a fruit salad, make sure you wait until the last possible minute to cut them up and toss them in.

Learn more about this great fruit from this in-depth article on kiwi.

Photo by Lyubov.

13 Comments on "Keep your skin on"
    August 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Wow, great article. I never knew you could eat Kiwi skin.

September 13, 2012 at 10:32 pm
    Kevin says:

i just ate one unpeeled. awesome.

January 16, 2013 at 5:25 am
    Bubbles says:

Wow. so did not know that. most believe that skin is a little toxic. make u sick. so now i know that the whole thing is ok 2 give my daughter. no more fighting with peeling. YAY!!

February 17, 2014 at 4:05 pm
      kat style says:

Kiwi skins retain almost 100% of pesticides used on them so are only safe to eat if grown organically (certified) or washed thoroughly before eating!
      I’d take care with small children especially.

March 14, 2013 at 7:51 am
    Brett Aurich says:

So I have been doing this for a long time. I take a sharp knife, rinse the outside of the kiwi, scrape the fuzzys a bit, rinse (loses 80%of the fuzzys) and its wonderful. I am sure for you fuzzy eaters out there you are getting a tad more fiber, but I really enjoy them this way and its fiber enough for me (way more than those skin peelers who have never ventured eating fuzzys at all…tsssk). :)

April 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm
    Kiwi eater says:

I rub the kiwi between the palms of my hands like I’m trying to polish it(it gets the fuzzies off). If the fuzzies come off fairly quickly you know the kiwi is perfectly ripe, bite off the top spit out and enjoy the rest.

May 14, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    Devon says:

I use a pumice stone to de-hair the kiwi. Rinse, eat, wow.

June 2, 2013 at 10:44 pm
    Matt says:

Just blended up a whole kiwi, drank that shit hard. Killer.

June 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm
    Marissa says:

I just made myself laugh about eating the kiwi skin. I thought about it being just like carpet on your tongue. Gross.

August 26, 2013 at 8:39 am
    Kelly Carter says:

I have been making green shakes that include, kale,kiwi, strawberries, blackberries and for the liquid I use lemon juice, stevia to sweeten and water. I cambine together in a blender and make a smoothie. I don’t peel the kiwi. I started doing this and it has changed my life. Kale is extremely healthy and has been known to prevent cancer and when a person does have cancer, its advised for them to eat. The fruit and lemon drink masks the bitter taste of kale. I have one glass for bkfst everyday.

November 15, 2013 at 9:20 am
    Aziza says:

What a great life hack!

November 21, 2013 at 11:28 am
    Rachel says:

I worked at a camp over the summer, where I learned from a co-worker that the skin is edible and delicious! The kids thought we were crazy until some tried it. Just rinse and bite right in! So easy and great to cut out any prep efforts when camping.

December 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Thanks so much for this. I didn’t feel like peeling a kiwi I wanted to put in a smoothie so I went online to see if it was safe to eat the peel. This smoothie (spinach, kiwi with skin, and grapes) is absolutely delicious. I appreciate you putting this brief piece together! )