The Smoothie Flowchart

August 25, 2010 5:09 pm

The Smoothie Flowchart Sample

Bear with me, this might get funky.

See, the tricky thing about smoothies is that there are infinite possibilities.  It can be overwhelming for even the coolest of heads out there.

Continuing with (self-proclaimed) Smoothie Week, I figured I’d step up to alleviate at least some of the smoothie stagnation in the world (sorry — once I start alliterating, I’m slow to stop).

Therefore, I proudly present The Smoothie Flowchart! (8.5″x11″ one-page PDF, 919kb)

Print it out, stick it on your fridge, and may it bring you many blenders’ worth of smoothie inspiration.

If you’d like to share the smoothie flowchart on your own website or blog, please be respectful (and law-abiding) and share it by linking directly to this post. Please do not link directly to the PDF or copy the PDF to your own server.  Thanks!

18 Comments on "The Smoothie Flowchart"
    March 20, 2011 at 11:57 am
    Suni Ferrer says:

Thanks for this a fun tool for making smoothies, even though it looks complicated, it’s pretty simple. Only thing missing here is adding cacao powder as an option in the “Want more flavor?” answer chart and a bubble asking “Want it sweeter?” after a taste test.
    I’ve shared on my FB wall with all my smoothie-loving and smoothie-curious friends. =)

March 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Cacao powder is a great idea, thanks! I’ll be sure to add that when I make version 2.0. :)

March 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm
    Erika Kar says:

wow! you are super awesome! this is great!

March 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Ha! Thanks, Erika! :)

August 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm
    Lexie says:

LOVE it!!! Will plaster this on inside of my cabinet door.

Lexie

August 9, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Thanks, Lexie!

August 12, 2011 at 5:20 am
    Barbara Faison says:

Hi there,

What a cool chart with such great information. I often am wondering what will work with my smoothies.

I just had a huge watermelon and used it for smoothies all week. I just had:
    Watermelon, greek yogurt,small amount of frozen banana, pomegrante juice and flaxseed meal. After reading your chart, I probably
    could have added the oats for extra fiber.

Thanks for the fabulous resource.

August 12, 2011 at 7:15 am

Thanks, Barbara! Your watermelon smoothie sounds delicious.

Also, in case you missed it, check out my recent Breakfast Flowchart, too! :)

October 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm
    Amy says:

Oh my gosh! … this is awesome.

December 25, 2011 at 2:44 am
    Lissi says:

Looks great but there are some things I would change:
    *Cut the low-fat everything, good animal fats (whole milk, preferably raw, full-fat raw milk kefir and full fat properly fermented (ie at least 24hrs) yoghurt etc) is the essential fats that our bodies reeeeally need.
    See this article: http://realfoodforlessmoney.blogspot.com/2011/10/relearning-importance-of-fat.html

I would also cut the soy milk as unless soy is fermented and eaten in very small quantities (ie soy sauce as a condiment), it is toxic, see this article as an example: http://www.hippocrates.com.au/hippocrates-news-archive/health/item/96-beware-soy

And whey powder and protein powder is also toxic and denatured:

According to my research, flaxseeds and their oil is also a non-food. I go by the Weston A Price Foundation real food diet.

A lot of info, but good to have a look at if you have an open mind.
    Other than that, it’s a fab flow chart, very helpful and I have printed it out for my use. Thanks!

February 13, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hi Lissi – Sorry for the late reply, this one slipped through the cracks over the Holidays.

My thoughts on low-fat/fat-free dairy have definitely evolved since I created this chart, and just posted about it recently. http://www.eatingrules.com/2012/01/what-kind-of-milk-should-i-drink/

I have some issues with WAP, particularly because they can be so extremist in their views. I do agree with much of what they recommend, but any organization (or diet) that is so black-and-white gives me pause. I have an open mind when it comes to learning about nutrition and diet — but they don’t seem to.

I’m going to do an update of the smoothie flowchart when summer comes around. I will consider/incorporate your suggestions then!

Thanks!

January 8, 2012 at 10:31 am

[...] Smoothie Flowchart from Eating Rules [...]

January 10, 2012 at 2:56 am

[...] the letters E and R (that was a Sesame Street reference for all you youngens)–better known as EatingRules.com. I love that you can just print this off and hang it in your kitchen for whenever you’re [...]

February 14, 2012 at 11:40 am
    Binu Nadesan says:

Andrew,

Quick question…

What is the handwritten font used on most of your PDF documents.

If possible can you please share?

February 17, 2012 at 11:50 am
    Maria says:

Glad to hear you’re planning to update this fun flowchart! I have recently switched to (raw) whole milk and I am loving it. Here’s hoping there might be a place in version 2.0 for spinach.

January 11, 2013 at 8:00 am

[...] I found this great Smoothie Flowchart on the Eating Rules blog (www.eatingrules.com). I love it because it takes some of the total [...]

January 11, 2013 at 8:02 am
    Deanna says:

Thanks! Just shared your link on our blog as well! And maybe I will be inspired to break out of our smoothie routine. Great resource!