Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Irish Soda Bread

October 12, 2011 2:00 pm
Posted in: Bread & Muffins

Lillian Medville has an online comedy cooking show called “Lillian’s Test Kitchen,” in which she makes other people’s allergy-friendly recipes for the very first time, on camera. Last October, she shared her experience making Baked Apples. You can also find her on Facebook and Twitter.

I’ve struggled with my food allergies for years. It took me more or less seven years to figure out that I had them, and then another ten years to figure them all out. I’m allergic and intolerant to gluten/grains, dairy, cane sugar, and soy, and while I was (rather painfully) sorting out what I can eat and what I cannot, it also took dramatic toll on the rest of my life.

About two years ago I couldn’t take it anymore. I was tired of seeing food as the enemy. I was tired of feeling deprived and I was tired of being sick all the time. So I bit the bullet and started making my own food. I realized that if I wanted to eat it, I’d have to be the one to make it. And that single thought changed everything.

Now, I make almost everything that I eat. I start with raw ingredients and I make delicious things. I’m healthier and happier than I ever have been in my life. The funny part is that I don’t think I would have gotten here without my food allergies pushing me along the way. It is because of those food allergies that I hated and that made my life so difficult for so long, that I am now unprocessed by default. Personally, I think I’m better off.

Here’s my Irish Soda Bread episode. It’s totally unprocessed, healthful, and of course, delicious.

Get the recipe for Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Irish Soda Bread at Elana’s Pantry, and check out Lillian’s original Irish Soda Bread post to learn how she’d make it differently next time.

8 Comments on "Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Irish Soda Bread"
    October 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm
    Rene says:

Hey Lillian, thanks for sharing this story, way to take the bull by the horns and git ‘er done yourself. I look forward to checking out your site (comedy + food + I’m there.) And I KNOW the recipe will be good, ’cause it come’s from Elana! Thanks again. I love soda bread.

October 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Rene!

October 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm
    Tara Cromer says:

I have just gotten to that point due to food allergies too. About two and a half months ago I started making things from scratch and have been extremely diligent about making sure I have pure ingredients. Thanks for this recipe. I can’t wait to try it.

October 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I think it’s the only way to go…

Hope you like the irish soda bread. I make that bugger all the time. :)

lillian

October 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm
    Jennifer says:

Your Irish Soda Bread sounds fantastic! I love eating it and hate that it’s only available around St. Patty’s Day and even though it’s “homemade” I’m sure it’s no where near as healthy as this recipe you’ve provided!! With Fall coming I can’t wait to make this soon.

October 12, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Thanks Jennifer. It’s super delicious and crazy healthy! Good for all year round as far as I’m concerned. :)

March 9, 2012 at 3:37 pm

[...] Andrew has a gluten & dairy-free Irish soda bread recipe on Eating Rules. [...]

March 9, 2012 at 9:15 pm