We Made It!

November 1, 2011 9:28 am
Posted in: Happening Now

Wow, what a month!

By October 1st, 2,000 people had signed the October Unprocessed pledge. As people continued to discover the challenge, our numbers ultimately passed the 3,000 mark. Incredible.

I want to express my enormous gratitude for the 55 (yes, fifty-five) guest authors and experts who shared their time, talents, energy, and recipes. I hope you agree that the guest posts were terrific! Many thanks both to the friends whom I cajoled into writing and to the folks who reached out and offered to contribute. Everyone — and I mean everyone — blew me away with their resourcefulness, enthusiasm, and professionalism (and remember, everything was voluntary; nobody was paid for his or her contribution).  The food blogging community is one of the finest groups of people I’ve ever been blessed to know and be a part of, and for that I am truly blessed and grateful.

Thank you as well to everyone who helped spread the word about October Unprocessed. Whether it was through sharing on Facebook or Twitter, writing on your own site or news outlet, or just through a simple conversation with a friend, including others in this challenge is important on so many levels. It increased awareness and participation — but more than that, it continued to build community and strengthen this important revolution.

Finally, I’d like to thank everyone who took the challenge, signed the pledge, and participated. Even if it was just for one day, giving it a go is so important. Ultimately, this challenge is about awareness and about truly considering what you’re putting in your body. I’m pretty sure I don’t need to do any more convincing, though, so I won’t ramble on any more about that!

Later this week I’ll be sending out a survey to get your feedback on the challenge. I hope to learn what you liked best, what you liked least, and everything in between — and where you think we should go from here.

In the meantime, though, I’d simply like to list all the guest posts and their authors one more time — and encourage you to read (and share!) their posts if you haven’t yet, and to visit their sites and see what they’re all about.  It’s a pretty terrific group of folks.

With gratitude,
Andrew

21 Comments on "We Made It!"
    November 5, 2011 at 12:42 am
    Jo says:

Spent the last few days thinking and reflecting on the 30 day (after I did the survey) and also the last 6months we have been spending studying whole food nutrition.

Have tried a bit of everything new. Had to consider time/lifestyle as factors.

Then ordered in delivery food I had not had in 7months, uh yuk.
    Seeing that it takes 3hrs to get out and 2 hrs to tranfer Chris out of his WC and care for his med needs time is important.
    So we are going to go shopping tommarrow with all the reflecting and thought of some of the new foods tried.
    Also with consideration of my healthcare needs as a diabetic.

(I don’t use insulin trying to keep it diet controlled).
    So went through all the blogs you listed with my thoughts in order and signed up for all of the blogs that would be of assist with easy to make recipes and also concur with the seasons.
    That should take allot of the guessing work out of weekly new meal planning and such.
    Thanks again for all the work and time you put into the October Unprocessed.

November 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm
    Susan says:

A confession: I reached for one of “those quick little boxes” over this last weekend after having some minor surgery and not really feeling like cooking. I actually was amazed at how awful the processed stuff tasted to me after a month of grazing in more flavorful pastures. Since that particular box is a rather pricey GF/organic version of a ubitquitous comfort food, I’ve decided that I’d rather make my own sauce and freeze it in serving size containers for the occasions when comfort food is required and SKIP THE BOX. I had NO idea that I would react as violently to the lack of taste and texture in this once-favorite meal after a month of eating unprocessed! Chalk up another in the Unprocessed “win” category!

May 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm
    Susan Johnsen says:

Andrew, Just a bit of an update. I took your unprocessed challenge in October and breezed through it. I have continued to eat unprocessed and am down about 35 lbs. I should say that I am PAINLESSLY down about 35lbs. At this point, it is no longer work and has become my lifestyle. There is no suffering involved and I eat as much as I want. Thank you, I’m a convert.
    Susan

May 22, 2012 at 9:23 am

Susan, this is so wonderful to hear! You gave me goosebumps, I’m so excited and thrilled for you. Hooray!!

May 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm
    Jo says:

Welcome to a new lifestyle Susan…Eating Rules, Small Bites Bellatti and What’s in your Food.com have been a great support system.
    Next thing you know you will be buying a CSA from your local farmer.

We purchased our first time share this year. And as an around the clock medical care provider Mom having fresh veggies dropped at the house once a week means more than I can say in taking care of self.

Too exhausted some days too eat but not willing to eat processed junk.
    Ok now where is that Eating Rules home made Feta recipe..need to have some fun!