Cream cheese is undoubtedly scrumptious, but whether you’re vegan, lactose intolerant, cutting down on dairy, or just itching to try something new on your morning toast, DIY vegan cream cheese is one of my favorite things to make.
I like to make mine from cashews. Not only are cashews tasty, they are extremely healthy. Cashews are rich in copper and magnesium and, they boast a high concentration of heart-healthy fats. Best of all, cashews, when soaked in water become soft and very “blendable” you can make everything from nut milk to cream sauce to (my favorite) cashew shakes. But, today, we’re here to talk cream cheese, and it couldn’t be simpler.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 4 cups filtered water + ½ cup more for blending
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Soak cashews four hours - overnight in filtered water
- Drain all water and blend with ½ cup filtered water, lemon juice white wine vinegar, nutritional yeast , and half of salt, until smooth (this will take at least 10 minutes unless you’re working with a high-powered blender like a vitamix or blendtec) .
- You may need to add more water if your cream cheese is a bit too thick - for example if it looks more like cashew butter than cream cheese, but don’t add too much.
- Test seasoning, add more salt if needed and blend to finish.