Not every meal needs to be an epicurean delight

July 11, 2013 9:27 am

Not every meal needs to be an epicurean delight

This morning, while I was eating a bowl of oatmeal, I violated our “no screens at the table” rule and scanned through my Instagram feed.

It was picture after picture of stunning, mouth-watering, decadent dishes. (I follow a lot of food bloggers.)

My oatmeal started to look pretty bleak in comparison.

Then I remembered that food doesn’t always need to be the Best. Thing. Ever.

Sometimes food is just fuel.

And, even if it’s not pretty, a bowl of oatmeal with peaches, raisins, flax seeds, and hemp hearts is some darn good fuel.

TagsTagged: ,
11 Comments on "Not every meal needs to be an epicurean delight"
    July 11, 2013 at 11:37 am
    D says:

Sounds good

July 11, 2013 at 11:49 am
    Althea MC says:

I agree. I enjoy my am oatmeal and want it to be filling. Dinner — a pretty plate defintely adds to the eating experience. Funny how that works??!?

July 11, 2013 at 1:21 pm
    Lindsey says:

Amen!

July 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Couldn’t agree more!! My sentiments exactly =))

July 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    Dana says:

I think you may have a blindness to the beauty of your oatmeal that comes with familiarity… that is some very pretty oatmeal!

July 11, 2013 at 6:05 pm
    Tanya says:

I so agree! I am one of those my meals have to be pretty tasty and outstanding but one day I realized “I am tired and I just want something simple and good to eat.” Like today I made my own hamburger. Nothing epic just a hamburger and it was good too! Simple and good!

July 11, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    sippitysup says:

The trouble with your theory is good oatmeal is The. Best. Thing. Ever. GREG

July 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    Ttrockwood says:

That’s probably because most food bloggers only post pics of “the best” meals, or ones they have plated/arranged/lit properly- not the functional unglamorous day to day eats. Sounds like a great oatmeal combo- i’ll put hemp hearts on anything lately!

July 17, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    Debi says:

Some of the best whole foods dishes I make don’t look very pretty or delightful. But it sure pleases the palate and fills the tummy!

July 25, 2013 at 5:46 am
    Karen says:

Sometimes simpler can be better! One of my favorite Best. Oatmeals. Ever. is 1/2 cup oats, a handful of blueberries, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water. I tried to do a super duper fancy chili once that took me about two hours (not including simmering and clean up time) and it was only so-so, compared to my Grandma’s simple chili (which I will still argue is better than any other chili out there) and has about six ingredients that you put together in ten minutes and leave in the crock pot.
    P.S. I am new here, stumbled upon your blog, and love it.

August 5, 2013 at 3:40 am

Now I need to taste hemp hearts. :)