Hi, I’m Jolene from Yummy Inspirations and this is our 2nd year of following October Unprocessed.
I’m passionate about ensuring my kids eat a natural, unprocessed diet. I notice a HUGE difference in their moods when a little processed food slips in, so I try and avoid it as much as possible.
I prefer knowing that the ingredients in their meals and snacks are all natural and actually providing them with nourishment – rather than being processed junk, void of anything natural and harmful to their little bodies.
That’s where this Banana & Coconut Slice comes in. It’s a healthy kids’ snack that is packed full of a powerhouse of nutrients including nourishing honey, coconut, oats, and banana. It can even be enjoyed as a quick breakfast slice (when made a day ahead) or packed into kid’s lunch boxes.
The first time I made these, my 3-year-old asked whether I had actually made them, because they’re so good. They are now a family favourite recipe and one I’ve been making at least once a week the past month or so. They never last long though; the kids just can’t get enough of them!
- 100g (3.5 ounces) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup shredded/desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup whole grain flour (or 1 cup gluten-free flour)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup mashed banana (from 1 large or 2 small bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and get out a 9inch by 7inch (23cm by 17cm) dish and grease to prevent sticking.
- Place the butter and honey in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until melted.
- Once the butter and honey have melted, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut, oats, flour and salt.
- Add the banana, vanilla, and melted butter/honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Place the mixture into the prepared dish and place in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing. The slice hardens on cooling.